About Us and What We Do
The Electoral Office is an independent office within the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS). Our Office is charged with administering UVSS Electoral Events including the annual UVSS Board of Director elections, as well as any referenda.
The Chief Electoral Officer oversees the UVSS Electoral Office. The CEO is hired by a committee consisting of Electoral Committee representatives and the UVSS Executive Director and the UVSS Research & Communications Manager. The CEO cannot be a current UVSS member, as part of ensuring the independence, impartiality and non-partisanship of the Electoral Office.
As an independent, non-partisan body, the actions and decisions undertaken by our Office concerning the administration of voting processes are neither subject to the direction of the UVSS Board of Directors, nor the Electoral Committee, nor UVSS management staff.
In summary, this is “what we do”:
- Ensure that all elections occur in the manner outlined in the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) Bylaws.
- Administer and oversee the application of the Electoral Policy, including the development of the online webvote.
- Determine eligibility of nominees.
- Provide information, training and support to candidates and proponents/opponents.
- Ensure dissemination of information related to the administration of the Electoral Event.
- Make supplemental rules and procedures to facilitate the administration of a fair, efficient, and transparent electoral process.
- Approve campaign materials and verify spending limits for candidates and proponents/opponents.
- Facilitate the informal resolution of elections and referendum issues.
- Investigate complaints lodged against election candidates and proponent/opponents of referenda questions.
- Publicize results and report on the Electoral Events.
During an Electoral Event, we welcome you to visit the Electoral Office during posted office hours, or to make an appointment, if you have any questions or concerns regarding the referendum or election processes.
We value UVSS members who care enough to engage and participate!