The Electoral Office (Office) is an independent office within the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS). The Office is charged with administering UVSS Electoral Events including the annual UVSS Board of Director elections, as well as any referenda.
Our Office is governed by the relevant bylaws and policies set by the UVSS Board of Directors.
The Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) oversees the Office. The CEO is hired by a committee consisting of Electoral Committee representatives (Board of Director members), the UVSS Executive Director and the UVSS Research & Communications Manager. The CEO cannot be a current UVSS member, as part of ensuring the independence, impartiality and non-partisanship of the Office.
As an independent, non-partisan body, the actions and decisions undertaken by the Office concerning the administration of voting processes are neither subject to the direction of the UVSS Board of Directors, nor the Electoral Committee, nor UVSS management staff.
In summary, the Electoral Office:
- Ensures that all elections occur in the manner outlined in the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) Bylaws.
- Administers and oversees the application of the Electoral Policy, including the development of the online webvote.
- Determines eligibility of nominees.
- Provides information, training and support to candidates and proponents/opponents.
- Ensures dissemination of information related to the administration of the Electoral Event.
- Makes supplemental rules and procedures to facilitate the administration of a fair, efficient, and transparent electoral process.
- Approves campaign materials and verifies spending limits for candidates and proponents/opponents.
- Facilitates the informal resolution of elections and referenda issues.
- Investigates complaints lodged against election candidates and proponent/opponents of referenda questions.
- Publicizes results and report on the Electoral Events.
During an Electoral Event, we welcome you to visit the Electoral Office during posted office hours, or to make an appointment, if you have any questions or concerns regarding the referendum or election processes.
We value UVSS members who care to engage and participate!