About Us and What We Do
The Electoral Office is an independent office within the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS). Our office is charged with administering UVSS Electoral Events including the annual UVSS Board of Director elections, as well as any referenda.
The Chief Electoral Officer oversees the UVSS Electoral Office. The CEO is hired by a committee consisting of Electoral Committee representatives and the UVSS Executive Director and the UVSS Research & Communications Manager. The CEO cannot be a current UVSS member, as part of the Electoral Office commitment to ensuring its independence, impartiality and non-partisanship.
As an independent, non-partisan body, the actions and decisions undertaken by our Office concerning the administration of voting processes are neither subject to the direction of the Board of Directors nor to the Electoral Committee.
We welcome you to come visit us at our Office during office hours, or to make an appointment, if you have any questions or concerns regarding the referendum or election processes. We value UVSS members who care enough to engage and participate!
In summary, this is “what we do”:
- Ensure that all elections occur in the manner outlined in the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) Bylaws.
- Administer and oversee the application of the Electoral Policy.
- Logistical planning for the UVSS elections and referendum processes.
- Provide information to candidates and proponents/opponents of referenda questions.
- Answer questions and queries and clarify policy and procedure.
- Ensure adequate publication and dissemination of information including updates and deadlines, on elections and referendum processes as outlined in the UVSS Bylaws and policies.
- Make supplemental rules and procedures to facilitate the administration of a fair, transparent and seamless elections process.
- Approve campaign materials and verify spending limits.
- Facilitate the informal resolution of elections and referendum issues.
- Investigate complaints lodged against election candidates and proponent/opponents of referenda questions.
- Publicize election results and report on the election process for the year.
Please refer to the Electoral Policy 2018-01-15 for more information and details on the roles of the Electoral Office.